Blog Action Day is an annual event held every October 15 that unites the world’s bloggers in posting about the same issue on the same day with the aim of sparking discussion around an issue of global importance. This year’s topic is climate change.
Climate change is one of the most important threat to our environment today. And one the driving reasons behind climate change is global warming. In simple words, global warming is the increase in the average temperature of the earth’s atmosphere due to emission of greenhouse gases. And the simplicity ends there. The effects of global warming are far more profound. Please visit this link that shows the top 100 effects of global warming. And be prepared to be shocked!
So let’s get directly to the point. Call for action. We can make a difference. What can we do?
1. Use electricity smartly. Switch off those lights when you leave a room or electronic appliances when not in use like your mobile charger or laptop. Use certified green products.
2. Use water efficiently. Is that bubble bath really that necessary? Think twice before filling up your bath tub with all that water. Take care of all the water leaks. And close that tap while you brush, will ya?
3. Reuse and recycle. Newspapers and bottles can be reused or recycled. Find where you can do that in your city or locality.
4. Manage waste disposal properly. Don’t throw that chocolate wrapper just anywhere you fancy. Find a waste bin.
5. Reduce dependence on plastic. Next time you step into Carrefour or Big Bazaar, go green and use paper bags.
6. Use less energy for your commute. How about public transport every once in a while? Or better yet, just walk. That way, even you remain healthy along with the environment.
7. And incase you do drive, then buy smart, service your car and check your tire pressure regularly. A well maintained car and tires go a long way to maintain fuel economy and reduce greenhouse emissions.
8. No smoking. I know this is a tough one for all the smokers out there. But guess what? Smoking kills. Not just you but even who inhale your smoke. And that smoke messes up the environment. So?
9. Do you bit in making this planet green. Plant trees, flowers in your backyard. Or keep pots in the balcony. Don’t pluck flowers from gardens.
10. Spread the word. Buzz it. Tweet it. Scrap it. Shout it. Email it. Blog it.
Lets save the environment. For us. For our kids. For our future.