Did you know that more than 18% of South Africa population is HIV positive? And if we take Lesotho, Swaziland & Namibia, the HIV penetration is more than 20% in total. That’s like one in every five individuals. Shocking, isn’t it?
1st Dec is World AIDS Day.It is an international day to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS around the world.
There are more than 33 million people living with HIV around the world today. And nearly 2 million people died of HIV related illnesses last year.
What can we do?
1. Find out about HIV and AIDS. Discuss with family, friends and colleagues. Make sure what we know is reality and not just myths.
2. Know your HIV status. Get yourself checked if you have any doubts or were exposed to risk.
3. Discuss the use of condoms with your sexual partners to avoid transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.
4. If someone tells you that they are HIV positive, respect that and don’t tell others without their permission. The virus does not spread by physical contact like shaking hands, hugs or kisses.
5. Wear a red ribbon as a symbol of support, and to raise awareness.
Lets unite in our fight against HIV and AIDS.